Of course, in the time approaching May 1, when picnic season can be so challenging, just to have a nice day, we can’t leave you without instructions on how to take bread to the next level, where you’ll set čevapčiče and Pliskvice.
We also recommend: homemade “evapčiči” with extra mustard
This would be a mistake. A little flour for that much liquid?
The cookie dough will be very soft, so if you’re thinking of adding more flour, get your fingers away immediately! The softer the dough, the more difficult it will be to form, but the yeast will be more bioavailable and produce a lot of carbon dioxide (CO₂). And if we stretch the dough or the protein bonds in the dough well (don’t tear them with kneading too quickly) and strengthen them, they will be able to hold all this CO₂ and we will get a lot of big bubbles. If we are too hard with the dough or use flour with worse glue, then there will be no holes.
But how do I know how beautiful it is in my flour?
It is of the lower type, it has more glue, but it is still necessary to think about what this glue is. For dough with a lot of holes, I like to use Manitoba flour, which is very tasteless, but very elastic. So the size and number of holes does not depend on the amount of yeast, but on the length of the height, how strong the flour is and how we handle the dough.
You didn’t convince me, I’d rather eat more yeast.
For larger holes, don’t add more yeast. The cakes will be really lighter, but they will also dry faster.
Why did you add milk?
Because dough made with milk is whiter and softer, but because we want a firmer dough, we use a greater proportion of lukewarm water.
oil? Isn’t there enough fat on picnics already?
The fat gives the dough crispness, the basic porosity structure and a longer freshness to the bread. It also of course increases the nutritional value and improves the taste of the product. Also helps to increase volume, as the dough retains more gas, the pulp is light and evenly perforated. When adding the oil, it is important to knead the dough at minimum speed, somewhere around 5 minutes, to knead the fat evenly.
How Long Should I Get Up, But Really?
This can be 1 hour, or it can be left to rise in the refrigerator overnight or 24 hours. The higher and slower it is, the tastier it is. It is also easier to digest because the yeast will digest the dough.
- 500 grams wheat flour
- 1 bag of dry yeast (or half a cube of fresh)
- Teaspoon salt
- Half a teaspoon of sugar
- 300 ml of lukewarm water
- 100 ml lukewarm milk
- olive oil spoon
1. Pour lukewarm milk and water into the bowl of a stand mixer, add yeast and sugar and mix. Wait about 5 minutes for the yeast to dissolve and the yeast to start working. If we use fresh yeast, this stage is a little longer. Make sure the milk and water are not hot because it will kill the yeast and the dough will not rise, but if the liquid is too cold it will rise slowly.
2. Then add the flour and salt and stir with a hook for 10 minutes. First at medium speed to mix the ingredients as quickly as possible, then reduce the speed and knead the dough slowly by kneading – protein bonds. After 10 minutes, add more oil.
3. Put the dough on the table temporarily. The dish in which it was prepared is washed, wiped dry and lightly coated with oil. This will make it easier to get the sourdough out without scraping the gas-filled holes.
4. Roll out the dough to double the size, covered with at least a kitchen cloth, preferably with tin foil, even with a shower cap, as you suggested several times.
5. Roll the dough over a lightly oiled base, then roll it out (if it’s in the fridge, leave it for at least an hour at room temperature to heat up and become elastic, don’t stretch out the cold and don’t form) and use the roll-up extension technique in the form of a ball, which splits after It into 4 parts.
6. Shape each piece into a ball. Again using the dough-stretching technique so that the taut part is always on top and glued to the bottom. So the bubbles filled with gas stay full and there will be big holes in the cake.
7. Gently roll the formed balls into cakes and place them on a baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise for half an hour.
8. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 250 ° C. This test is the same with pizza: the higher the temperature, the softer the dough, the faster it rises and the more holes. Set the oven to the heating program up and down, and we will bake on the middle guide.
9. Make hollows in the raised dough with the edge of the oiled dough scraper, gently press on half of the dough being careful not to cut it. If we don’t have this spoon, as we call it here, we can do it with the sharp side of a knife.
10. Bake the muffins: 6-8 minutes, depending on the oven.
11. Immediately wrap the baked cake with a thick cloth and wait for it to cool slowly. This way it will be nicely soft.
Better baking tip: I put another clay dish in the oven. If we use this, we need to turn the oven on early enough to get it hot. This means that it is not enough when the oven appears to be heated, but the heating must be extended for at least 20 minutes. If the plate is not hot, there will be no effect.
Read also: The best way to cut the chisel (video)